Student Health Operating Status Until Further Notice
Updated 04/20/2020, 9:03 pm
The Hurtado Health Center on the College Avenue Campus is open, but with limited staff and hours. Hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5 pm.
- Most services are provided via phone and video consultations. Limited in-person appointments are also available when deemed necessary.
- The lab at Hurtado is open, but currently operating by appointment only.
- Use of the Patient Portal to schedule appointments at Hurtado is currently suspended. To schedule an appointment, call 848-932-7402.
- Please note: Calls from Student Health will appear as a blocked number, so please set your phone to allow blocked numbers and set up your voicemail to allow for messages.
- Beginning Wednesday, March 18, 2020 Busch Livingston and Cook Douglass Health Centers will be closed.
Contact Health Services: 848-932-7402, email@example.com
All CAPS locations are physically closed, but are providing services, including Let’s Talk, remotely via phone and video appointments.
- Beginning Monday, March 23, 2020, CAPS will provide all services remotely. All physical CAPS building are closed.
- Use of the Patient Portal to schedule appointments with CAPS is currently suspended. To schedule an appointment, call 848-932-7884, and leave a voicemail with your full name, phone number, and RU ID.
- Please speak slowly and clearly into the phone. Your message will be returned within 1 hour during regular business hours.
- Please note: CAPS will return your call from a blocked number, so please set your phone to allow blocked numbers and set up your voicemail to allow for messages.
- Check your Rutgers Portal for messages from CAPS staff.
- CAPS also offers virtual workshops, with new selections added regularly. Find a list of offerings at rutgers.edu/education/self-help/virtual-resources.
Contact CAPS: 848-932-7884
- HOPE will suspend drop-in HIV testing on Fridays until in-person classes resume.
- All scheduled Peer Educator workshops are cancelled through the end of the spring 2020 semester
- Live mini health and wellness workshops and quick tip videos will be available starting in mid-April on emotional wellness, alcohol and other drugs and sexual and reproductive health.
- Offerings will be listed at rutgers.edu/education/self-help/virtual-resources.
Contact HOPE: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mental Health Resources
If you are experiencing a medical or mental health emergency, call 911.
- CAPS is still providing services via phone and video appointments. Call 848-932-7884.
- ProtoCall, a phone-based counseling system for students in crisis, remains available when CAPS is closed. Call the main CAPS number, 848-932-7884, and follow the prompts.
- New Jersey Mental Health Cares has experienced staff available to provide emotional support for issues related to COVID-19 and other mental health concerns.
Their help line, 1-866-202-HELP (4357), is free and confidential. Available 7 days a week, 8 am – 8 pm. Additional resources can be found on their website: https://www.njmentalhealthcares.org/. Please note NJ Mental Health Cares does not provide crisis intervention.
Additional Mental Health Resources
- Acute Psychiatric Service (APS): 855-515-5700, a 24-hour emergency service for local residents. If you live outside of Middlesex County you should contact the nearest hospital emergency department.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-TALK (8255)
- NJ Hope Line (Suicide Prevention): 855-654-6735
- National Crisis Text Line: Text KNIGHTS to 741741. To speak directly with a counselor of color you can text STEVE to 741741.