Student Health Operating Status Until Further Notice
Updated 4/26/2021, 2:48 pm
Please note: The Rutgers phone system cannot accept calls from blocked numbers. Please unblock your number prior to calling.
After Hours Medical Care
The Hurtado Health Center on the College Avenue Campus is open, but with limited staff and hours. Hours of operation are Monday – Thursday, 9 am – 5 pm and Friday, 10 am – 5 pm.
- Most services are provided via phone and video consultations. In-person appointments are also available when deemed necessary.
- The lab at Hurtado is open, but currently operating by appointment only.
- Use of the Patient Portal to schedule appointments at Hurtado has been restored. To schedule an appointment, visit nbstudenthealthportal.rutgers.edu or call 848-932-7402.
- Please note: Calls from Student Health will appear as a blocked number, so please set your phone to allow blocked numbers and set up your voicemail to allow for messages.
- Cook Douglass Health Center is closed until further notice.
- Busch Livingston Health Center is operating as a COVID Test Center during the fall 2020 semester. Hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 9 am – 3 pm.
Contact Health Services: 848-932-7402, email@example.com
- The main CAPS office at 17 Senior Street is open. Most services will be offered via tele-health or phone with a few services in-person on an as-needed and clinically indicated basis. Hours of operation are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm and Wednesday, 10 am – 4:30 pm.
- The CAPS Next Step building will be physically closed but all services will be provided remotely.
- Let’s Tele Talk will continue to operate remotely.
- The Nichol Ave CAPS office on Cook Douglass is closed until further notice.
- Use of the Patient Portal to schedule appointments with CAPS is currently suspended. To schedule an appointment, call 848-932-7884, and leave a voicemail with your full name, phone number, and RUID.
- Please speak slowly and clearly into the phone. Calls are returned promptly during regular business hours.
- Please note: CAPS will return your call from a blocked number, so please set your phone to allow blocked numbers and set up your voicemail to allow for messages.
- Check your Patient Portal account for messages from CAPS staff.
- CAPS also offers virtual workshops, with new selections added regularly. Find a list of offerings at rutgers.edu/education/self-help/virtual-resources.
Contact CAPS: 848-932-7884
- HOPE will operate primarily remotely with in-person activities limited to rapid-result HIV testing by appointment only.
- Hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 4:30 pm.
- Virtual workshops can be requested at health.rutgers.edu/workshops-trainings.
- Additional workshops can be found at rutgers.edu/education/virtual-resources and the RSH Instagram channel.
Contact HOPE: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mental Health Resources
If you are experiencing a medical or mental health emergency, call 911.
- CAPS remains operational. Most services will be offered via tele-health or phone with a few services in-person on an as-needed and clinically indicated basis.Call 848-932-7884.
- ProtoCall, a phone-based counseling system for students in crisis, remains available when CAPS is closed. Call the main CAPS number, 848-932-7884, and follow the prompts.
- New Jersey Mental Health Cares has experienced staff available to provide emotional support for issues related to COVID-19 and other mental health concerns.
Their help line, 1-866-202-HELP (4357), is free and confidential. Available 7 days a week, 8 am – 8 pm. Additional resources can be found on their website: https://www.njmentalhealthcares.org/. Please note NJ Mental Health Cares does not provide crisis intervention.
Additional Mental Health Resources
- Acute Psychiatric Service (APS): 855-515-5700, a 24-hour emergency service for local residents. If you live outside of Middlesex County you should contact the nearest hospital emergency department.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-TALK (8255)
- NJ Hope Line (Suicide Prevention): 855-654-6735
- National Crisis Text Line: Text KNIGHTS to 741741. To speak directly with a counselor of color you can text STEVE to 741741.