The College Support Program (CSP) supports Rutgers University students on the autism spectrum as they begin, continue and prepare to graduate from the University. It is a comprehensive program that assists students through the provision of direct service and collaboration with University services that address executive functioning, social competence, academic skills, self-care, self-advocacy, and career preparation.
The CSP is run under the direction of Rutgers Student Health’s Counseling, Alcohol & Other Drug Assistance Program, and Psychiatric Services (CAPS).
- Students must first be accepted to the University before they can apply to the CSP.
- Application to the CSP is a separate process from application to the University and admission to the program is not guaranteed.
For a contact list of our Campus Partners, please click here.
What the CSP Offers
- Weekly meetings with the coordinator
- Assistance with defining academic, organizational, and life goals
- Strategies to meet identified goals
- Trained Peer Mentors
- Social events
- Parent workshops
- Referrals and follow-up with academic and support services
- Referrals for psychotherapy or counseling when requested
Services Through the CSP also Include:
- Identifying and using social skills appropriate for university and adult life
- Individualized orientation to navigating campus transportation
- Accessing campus resources
- Learning to reside with room- and floor-mates
- Managing life skills (e.g., domestic, banking, hygiene)
- Participating in on- and off-campus activities
- Managing academic coursework
- Planning and preparing for employment
Admittance to the CSP requires its own process, including the completion of a CSP application, intake forms, and an in-person family interview, as well as the provision of CSP contacts with references. The CSP admission process is separate from the Rutgers University admission process. Automatic registration is not a guarantee.
If you feel you can benefit from the CSP, please complete our Program Application to begin the process. Applicants are encouraged to apply at any time. CSP applicants for the Fall 2019 semester will be advised of a decision by April 24, 2019.
The CSP program fee is in addition to Rutgers University tuition costs and student fees. Limited need-based scholarships have been awarded in the past. More information will be coming soon.
Interested in being a CSP Mentor?
For additional information or questions not addressed in our FAQs, click the button below and fill out our form.
Read about our CSP graduates on Rutgers Today