Our Community-Based Counseling is based on a model known as a “Meso Practice.” It’s a midpoint between a micro (individual) and a macro (public health) approach to providing mental health treatment.
In Community-Based Counseling, CAPS counselors are placed within departments, professional schools, and cultural centers throughout campus at set days and times. By embedding themselves in these spaces, counselors are able to build relationships, familiarity, comfort, and trust with the students, staff, and faculty within the community.
Community-Based Counselors can provide:
- Initial connection to CAPS services, including support and/or therapy based on an individualized action plan as well as referrals to other services
- Tailored workshops, group therapy, retreats and presentations
- Specialized assistance with critical incident response
- Consultations with concerned staff or faculty
- An assessment of that community’s needs
- Guidance and assistance with departmental guidelines and efforts focused on wellness