Updated September 6, 2016
While one or two doses of Bexsero® or Trumenba® will provide some short-term protection against the specific outbreak strain at Rutgers University-New Brunswick, the best protection is expected to require completion of the full three-dose series of Trumenba® with the second dose given 1–2 months after the first and the third dose 6 months after the first.
About the Serogroup B Meningococcal (MenB) Vaccine
The MenB vaccine is different than the meningococcal vaccine required of all students in University housing. The required vaccine for residential students only protects against serogroups A, C, W, and Y. It does not protect against serogroup B, which is the strain detected on campus in spring 2016.
To locate or confirm availability of Trumenba®, call your health care provider or local pharmacy, use the vaccine locator through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at http://www.vaccines.gov/getting/where/index.html, or call the Trumenba® Vaccine Locator Service at 1-800-683-8572.
As this has been classified as an outbreak setting, many insurance companies will cover the cost of the vaccine. You can confirm with your insurance company.
Trumenba® Stock Availability
New Jersey Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, and Rite Aid pharmacies are reporting they have the Trumenba® vaccine in stock. Out-of-state Walgreens and Rite Aid pharmacies should be able to get Trumenba® through their distribution center within 24 hours. We will continue to provide updates on availability.
Please call your local pharmacy to confirm availability of Trumenba®.
- Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS and Walmart pharmacies do not need prescriptions to administer the MenB vaccine.
- Be sure to bring your insurance card and prescription card with you when you go to get vaccinated.
- If using a different pharmacy than above, please check with that pharmacy to determine if a prescription is needed.
All undergraduate students are required to either submit verification of receiving the vaccine series or sign a document containing information about meningococcal disease prevention and vaccination.
MenB Vaccination Forms
MenB Vaccination Form Packet Individual Pages
- MenB Vaccination Form Instructions (PDF)
- Meningitis B Vaccination Information and Trumenba® Dose Tracker (PDF)
- MenB Vaccination Documentation Form for Dose #1 of Trumenba® (PDF)
- MenB Vaccination Documentation Form for Dose #2 of Trumenba® (PDF)
- MenB Vaccination Documentation Form for Dose #3 of Trumenba® (PDF)
- Alternate MenB Vaccine Documentation Form for Dose #2 and Dose#2 of Bexsero® (PDF)
- MenB Vaccination Declination Form (PDF)
Returning Completed Forms
Completed forms can be returned two ways:
By email: email@example.com
57 US Highway 1
New Brunswick, NJ 08901