We believe that a confidential, mutually respectful partnership between Healthcare Clinicians/Providers and Clients/Patients is the best way to develop and maintain optimal health.
Rutgers Student Health respects Client/Patient rights including the right to privacy, the right to be treated with respect, consideration and dignity, the right to confidentiality of health care information, the right to be provided with complete information, the right to participate in health care decision making including the right to consent to or refuse treatment, the right to request treatment in his/her native language through a translator or other resources, and the right to select a Healthcare Provider whenever possible.
Clients/Patients have the right to know the names, titles and qualification of staff members serving them and to request a chaperone during an examination.
Clients/Patients have the right to expect privacy and confidentiality, including from parents, professors, and potential employers; Client/Patient information is not disclosed without written permission except, upon court order, as required by law (as in the case of certain communicable diseases and for reports of child abuse), or as required in our judgment to protect the Client/Patient or others from physical danger.
Clients/Patients have the right to have information about the operations and services of Health Services, including the hours that services are available and current fees and payment policies.
Clients/Patients have the right to be informed about procedures for giving feedback on services including how to make a suggestion or how to make a formal complaint.
Rutgers Student Health expects Clients/Patients to responsibly participate as active members of the healthcare team, provide complete and accurate information to the best of his/her ability about his/her health, any medications, including over-the-counter products and dietary supplements, and any allergies or sensitivities, ask questions in order to understand and follow healthcare advice and medical instructions, respect the policies of Health Services, inform Clinicians/Providers of the existence of a living will or power of attorney and provide notice if unable to keep a scheduled appointment.
- Client/Patient Rights and Responsibilities are posted in health centers and on the Rutgers Student Heath website.
- The Health Services Notice of Privacy Practices is available and offered to Clients/Patients at Reception Desks and is available in the health centers, and on the Health Services website.
- Staff members wear special Health Services photo name tags that include their title and name. Professional staff credentials are listed on the Health Services website and in Clinician/Provider offices.
- Hours of operations are posted on the health center doors, on the Health Services website and distributed in Health Services brochures.
- Comment forms and boxes are available at each health center lobby and in the pharmacy, so that Clients/Patients can have the opportunity to express concerns or complaints. Client/Patient satisfaction surveys are conducted regularly and results with outcomes are shared with staff through the Quality Committee. Clients/Patients have an opportunity for feedback and direct contact with the Director of Quality & Compliance through the RSH website at http://health.rutgers.edu/who-are-we/quality and at 848-932-9043.